i started running. again.
running and i have a love/hate relationship with a 65:35 ratio of love:hate.
i've been running here and there for the past year or so but decided this would be my year to run another 1/2 and possibly even {gasp} a marathon. i turn 26 this may... wouldn't it be cool to say i ran 26 miles in my 26th year? well i think it's cool.
upcoming run: 1/2 marathon on april 16th. i haven't prepared nearly as much as i did for my last 1/2, but that's ok. i may not beat my last time [2.06 hrs], but i know i can finish it and probably not walk along the way. and i was convincing enough to talk my lil sis, katie, into running it with me.
other runs i'm considering:
dirty dash in june
dirty dash in july
tou 1/2
tou full
bear lake 10k
race for the cure
anyone running any of these runs? wanna be my running buddy?
josh won't run with me, so i have to beg everyone around me :)
next thing... new running shoesies.
i think after this upcoming 1/2, i'm about ready for a new pair. i've been eyeing these nike free runs for the past little bit. they're supposed to be super flexible, like running barefoot, and come highly recommended online. have any of you tried them? i think they'll be perfect for my bday in may.
today was semi-warm {like 50 degrees} so i went on an afternoon run outside.
it was amazing. a little breezy, not too warm, not too cool.
it felt so nice to get off the dreadmill for a day and actually run somewhere!
also, can i just say how much i love my nike plus app on my iphone? connects with the chip in my shoes and keeps track of my runs, my pace, and gives me some motivation on the way.
great teamwork on this one, nike and apple!
one thing i'm super excited about is our trip to san diego next week so i can do some good morning runs along the beach. what could be better than a pair of running shoes, clear skies, sandy beaches, and some good tunes?
speaking of good tunes, i love me some good workout music.
sometimes i listen to the pandora radio station and put it on something like lady gaga or black eye peas.
lately i've made up a playlist that includes a little rhianna (her new cd is great for running), some katy perry, a little bit of florence + the machine, of course some lady gaga, and a bit of sugarcult and owl city.
i'm not much of a music snob and will listen to just about anything with a good beat.
do you have any suggestions for good running music? i know you runners are out there, spill the beans. or even anyone who likes a good beat that wants to share their favs?
hopefully getting back into my running will help me feel somewhat cute in my swimsuits this summer. and, if i can firm up these legs of mine, i may even take a leap of faith and buy my first pair of skinny jeans. no promises there, but sometimes i like to set lofty goals.
and that pretty much wraps up my running post

7 love notes:
You are incredible. All I want to be able to do is run a 5 or 10k. HA! That's NOTHING on you girl! YOU ROCK. I think a dirty dash would be so fun! You are awesome. And such a hottie. And a genius. Wow. Your hub totally scored.
There is nothing that feels better than a nice long run on a beautiful day! I'm so excited that you are running! I'll run a dirty dash this fall with you. It will give me a great goal. Let me know what you think. Love the shoes!! And I seriously think you should run a 26-er!! You can do it, fo sure!
K you are amazing! I can't even say the word marathon without gagging a little. :) I wish I were a runner I just can't do it. That app sound incredible!
I have to say that I am so jealous reading your post. I also have a love hate relationship with running but when I can't I miss it so much. I would totally be your running buddy this spring and summer if I could. You are amazing and I really don't know how you fit it all in with work and school.
Ps I ran the dirty dash last year, it was the best race so much fun it would for sure do that one.
Ryan LOVES his Nike Free's, he has 2 pair now, and is already picking out his next pair. I think you will be very happy with them!
Liz,
So glad everything is going well for you guys and congrats on all your hard work paying off.
I’m looking for some articles I’ve read recently on barefoot running and if I find them I’ll post them. But to sum it all up quickly: When you run barefoot your form is different (you don’t land with your heel first, your strides are shorter) and you use a lot of different muscles than when you run with shoes (more hamstring than quad, you use more achilles tendon, toes and calf). So just a heads up that you may want to give your muscles plenty of time strengthen and warm up to these shoes so you don't get any injuries. In the end just listen to your body if it hurts, stop and use your old shoes and give your muscles some time to recover. I’ve just started barefoot running and really like it, but it is a totally different feel. I’d give them a try but wouldn’t go to ten miles your first day.
Hey Liz,
Your running post makes me happy because I'm slightly just as obsessed. I've never liked Nike's because they are so narrow although they have improved in the past few years. I LOVE New Balance and they have very similar light weight shoes that are awesome.
I've done the barefoot running thing and what Jon said is true, you have to slowly progress into it.
I'm doing the 1/2 on April 16th and would really like to do a full in my 26th year as well.
I've made some cool playlists maybe we can swap! Facebook me and let me know if you can ever do some training runs and hopefully I may see you at the 1/2!
Post a Comment
i love reading your {happy} thoughts... thanks for commenting!